pdp-11 assembly standards

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Tue Jan 10 07:03:33 CST 2017

    > From: Brent Hilpert

    > So the answer is, by modern expectations the old standard would be
    > ambiguous or misleading.

Well, the ideas of 'assembler' and 'standard' don't really go together in my
mind... :-)

But seriously, I don't know how many different PDP-11 assemblers there were,
but the two _main_ ones (DEC's, and Unix's) both use the same numeric
convention (although they differed in other ways, probably because of the
CTSS/Multics erase character convention): a sequence of digits is an octal
number, unless there's a trailing '.', in which case it's decimal.

(Well, technically, DEC had PAL-11 and MACRO-11, but PAL-11 was basically a
subset of MACRO-11, and used the same number syntax.)

I've never heard of that '&o' bizzaro-stuff - where did you find that?

	Noel