Spinning up RL02 w/o head load ? (was Cleaning RK05 packs)

js at cimmeri.com js at cimmeri.com
Sat Jan 7 11:29:46 CST 2017

On 1/7/2017 11:44 AM, Jerry Weiss wrote:
> What is the best way to approach evaluating old RL02 Packs for
> cleaning? Does anyone have experience opening up all the little
> plastic tabs on the covers? I have a large stash of RL02’s that I had
> planned to backup. I was planning on just doing a visual inspection on
> each before loading. The only disassembly information I have found
> uses the proverbial hammer -
> http://williambader.com/museum/vax/43rl02topremoval.jpg
> <http://williambader.com/museum/vax/43rl02topremoval.jpg> Jerry

With mine, in a darkened room, I shone a flashlight in perpendicularly
to reveal what debris was on the platter surface.  In all cases of the
few packs I had to process, there was a light coating of dust on the
platters, so I disassembled the pack and washed as previously posted.

For me, they had to be dust free before use.

They were not hard to diassemble, but there was a trick to the handle
part (which I forget).

- J.