LGP-30 Memory Drum Update

Kyle Owen kylevowen at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 13:48:55 CST 2017

On Wed, Jan 4, 2017 at 12:06 PM, Jon Elson <elson at pico-systems.com> wrote:

> there are amateur astronomers with a vacuum evaporator, it might be
> possible to get them to adjust their setup slightly to vacuum evaporate
> nickel on your drum, after refinishing the base.  You'd need a rig to
> slowly turn the drum while evaporating the nickel. Some other research labs
> at universities might have the necessary equipment, also - check with the
> Physics department (or electrical engineering).

Will the desired thickness be enough with sputtering or evaporation? For
modern hard drives, sure, but my gut instinct is that you'd want a thicker
coating on the drum. I'd suggest sputtering over evaporation since it will
probably adhere to the surface better. I'd think nickel electroplating
would take less time and effort, though.

Heck, I have about 4 L of nickel plating solution as well as an anode, if
someone wants to give it a shot.

Kyle