Attaching SIMH devices without halting simulation?

J. David Bryan jdbryan at acm.org
Sun Dec 31 19:07:34 CST 2017

On Sunday, December 31, 2017 at 14:03, Mark J. Blair via cctalk wrote:

> That appears to work perfectly. I don't know what I did wrong when I tried
> that before.

You mentioned that you "tried putting the system console on a telnet port,"
so you might have used the "SET CONSOLE TELNET" command (section 3.14 in
the user's guide).  This separates the system console from the simulation
console, leaving the latter attached to the initiating window.  But you
still have to interrupt simulation with CTRL+E (at the simulation console)
to enter the ATTACH command.

The "SET REMOTE TELNET" command, by contrast, connects a second, limited
simulation console in parallel with the original simulation console.
Commands entered at the remote console are performed internally by stopping
the simulation, executing the command, and then resuming.  The simulator
still pauses to execute the command, but only for the minimum time
necessary.

> Thanks!

You're welcome.

                                      -- Dave