PDP-8/a cleaning

Pete Turnbull pete at dunnington.plus.com
Tue Apr 25 11:34:00 CDT 2017

On 25/04/2017 15:55, Tapley, Mark via cctalk wrote:
> On Apr 25, 2017, at 8:51 AM, allison via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
>> Even after all that I'd still dry it with a little heat (oven at 180F or a clean empty
>> container in the sun.
>
> Irrelevant for backplanes, but for circuit boards, would any UV-erasable PROMs want to be checked to ensure their caps/covers are still in place before exposure to sunlight?

Definitely.  It takes a while, but even behind window glass (which is
barely transparent to short wavelength UV) EPROMs can eventually lose
their content.  It happened to a friend who had a machine with no top
cover, on a desk under a window, after about 5 years.  But in direct
sunlight, certainly just hours, and possibly just several tens of
minutes if you're unlucky.

--
Pete
Pete Turnbull