If C is so evil why is it so successful?

Jerry Weiss jsw at ieee.org
Thu Apr 13 22:05:19 CDT 2017

> On Apr 13, 2017, at 9:42 PM, Chuck Guzis via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> On 04/13/2017 05:47 PM, Jerry Weiss wrote:
>
>> Then my dad got transferred to Chicago and that high school had
>> “access” to IITRAN.  By access, that meant punching cards, and
>> waiting for the teacher to load in batch and waiting for the results.
>>

>> Losing the interactive aspect overshadowed the language features.
>

> To  be fair, many Chicago-area high schools did have interactive (TTY)
> access in the 60s to IITRAN.  IITRAN TTY access extended far beyond the
> Chicago area.
>
> http://www.99-bottles-of-beer.net/language-iitran-1899.html
>
> Not a bad language for the time.  Probably better than BASIC.
>
> --Chuck

Oh the high-school had a nice ASR-33, which was used to manage our IITRAN jobs.
But they never let the students use it interactively (during my tenure!), possibly
due to the costs for CPU or IO.

The other HS in the district had their own PDP-8.  Some of my (new) friends got
to play with that one.

Jerry