UMR computer photos

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Mon Sep 26 10:52:27 CDT 2016

On 09/26/2016 05:21 AM, jim stephens wrote:
> I was looking thru one of the yearbooks from my time at
> University of Missouri, Rolla.  I found what I think is a
> photo of a GE-200.  I "liberated" this system or one of
> them to a lab I had, when they were mothballed, and I
> could swear that is what the systems were.
>
> If anyone recognizes them, let me know.  This is the first
> hint of any sort as to what I had.  And my memory could be
> wrong.  The square indicator and switch style is very much
> like what I recall for this particular system.
>
> I had gotten handed a couple of very heavy trays of Lambda
> power supplies which clearly were for some purpose due to
> how they were mounted.  I later found the system I think
> was a GE-200 neglected in a stockroom in the EE building
> and recognized that the interconnnect would fit the power
> supply trays I had.
>
> The system was transistorized, not IC I might add.  That
> was why it took 4 or 5 large Lambda supplies.  Luckily we
> had not broken the supply tray up and i was able to play
> with it.
>
> The other thing i think might be of interest are several
> photos of an analog computer that the EE dept had.  I know
> there was another much larger system in the Physics
> department as well, and maybe I'll luck out and find a
> photo of it later.
>
> Oh, and the blond at the keypunch.  I might add that she
> is probably retired now.
> thanks
> Jim
>
> http://s1101.photobucket.com/user/jws1971/library/UMR%20computer%20photos

Well, there's the self service card reader out in the hall
of the computer science building (upper left corner).
Many of the other pictures look like a Pace TR-48 analog
computer (or similar model).  I remember one of those in the
basement of the EE building.  Yes, I saw these computers in
the basement of EE.  The middle row, right frame shows two
of them sitting side by side, I remember them being like
that.  I did poke around inside, seems they ran off
unusually high DC rails (maybe 12 or 24 V) and had HUGE
collector load resistors, like 2 W, and the boards were
burned below these resistors.  12-bit machine, I sort of
vaguely thought they were made by SEL or one of the
predecessors of SEL.  But, that is now a 40+ year old memory.

Jon