68K Macs with MacOS 7.5 still in production use...

Pete Turnbull pete at dunnington.plus.com
Thu Sep 15 14:58:58 CDT 2016

On 15/09/2016 20:34, Chuck Guzis wrote:
> On 09/15/2016 11:38 AM, Noel Chiappa wrote:
>>> From: Chuck Guzis
>>
>>> Call it anything you want, but we know what Motorola called it.
>>
>> The _first implementation_ may have been 16-bit, but I am in no
>> doubt whatsover (having written a lot of assembler code for the 68K
>> family) that the _architecture_ was 32-bit:
>>
>> - 32-bit registers - many operations (arithmetical, logical, etc)
>> defined for that length - 32-bit addresses

> Hence my comment.  It's a matter of what to believe--Motorola or your
> lyin' eyes.  :)

FWIW, when it came out, and for some years after, we were all talking
about "Motorola's (new) 16-bit micro", and when I attended a later
ComputerSci course on 68000 architecture and programming in the 1990s
the family was still treated as 16-bit until the 68020.  The first THREE
implementations are 16-bit as far as I'm concerned.

--
Pete
Pete Turnbull