early networking (was Re: G4 cube (was Re: 68K Macs with MacOS 7.5 still in production use...))

william degnan billdegnan at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 11:04:52 CDT 2016

On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 11:56 AM, js at cimmeri.com <js at cimmeri.com> wrote:

> I too started in 1988, doing the same kind of work (mid-Atlantic region,
> USA), same number and types of places.  Just to compare:
>
> * Banyan VINES    (never saw)
> * Corvus          (saw once)
> * ARCnet          (saw many times)
> * LittleBigLAN    (never heard of or saw)
> * The $25 Network (never heard of or saw)
> * NFS             (there were SUNs at the-then NBS (Bureau of Standards)
>                   (but I rarely encountered UNIX anywhere)
>
> * 3Com 3+Share    (saw only one place -- at NASA Goddard)
> * Sage MainLAN    (never heard of)
> * Personl Netware (never saw)
> * Netware Lite    (never saw)
> * DEC Pathworks   (saw only two places -- NASA G and NBS)
>
> Most frequently worked with:
> * Netware 3.x&  4.x
> * Lantastic
> * Windows / Microsoft
>
> - J.

Also a mid-Atlantic alumni...
I started the networking portion of my career in 1987, working at IBM.
Part of my job was to set up Token Ring Network for sales demos (college
intern).   Also Hypercard related networking was big in the late 80's.  Dd
a lot of TCP/IP networking starting in 1992 or so.
Bill