G4 cube (was Re: 68K Macs with MacOS 7.5 still in production use...)

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 08:50:44 CDT 2016

On 14 September 2016 at 03:08, Chuck Guzis <cclist at sydex.com> wrote:
> CP/Net.  I don't know if Novell ever deployed their RS-422 networking
> with CP/M-86 however.
>
> There were networking packages for the PC early on.  Remember Banyan?
> They date from 1985. Corvus?  Even Datapoint had an ARCnet facility for
> PCs in 1984. Quite a few vendors had 802.3 capability.  Networking,
> however disorganized, was a very hot thing by 1987.

This is quite interesting in terms of an Europe/NorAm divide.

I entered the business in 1988. After 25y in support, working on
thousands of systems in half a dozen countries, from 2-man outfits to
multi-billion-dollar multinationals, no, I never ever saw any systems
whatsoever running:
* Banyan VINES
* Corvus
* ARCnet
* LittleBigLAN
* The $25 Network

(Obviously, I've heard of them.)

To this day, I have never once used any form of NFS or ever seen it in use.

However, I routinely worked with:
* 3Com 3+Share
* Sage MainLAN
* Personal Netware
* Netware Lite
* DEC Pathworks

Most of these never seem to get mentioned in Stateside comms.

Odd.