G4 cube (was Re: 68K Macs with MacOS 7.5 still in production use...)

Chris Hanson cmhanson at eschatologist.net
Tue Sep 13 15:05:03 CDT 2016

On Sep 13, 2016, at 12:43 PM, Chuck Guzis <cclist at sydex.com> wrote:

> On 09/13/2016 12:15 PM, Brendan Shanks wrote:
>
>> There was SNAps:
>
> And it only took them until 1993!

Apple had a package available with SNA support in the late 1980s, along with the NuBus token ring card. I think there was also a DECnet package. And MacTCP was available early on, too.

> While it happened, it goes to my point that non-Apple connectivity has
> always gotten short shrift.

This is pretty much a myth. It was actually not very long after Jobs’ ouster that Apple started to work on expandable Macs, integration with other systems, etc.

  -- Chris