obscure forgoten Machean of Europe?

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Sun Sep 11 10:23:00 CDT 2016

> On Sep 11, 2016, at 5:03 AM, Camiel Vanderhoeven <iamcamiel at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Op 11 sep. 2016 9:27 a.m. schreef "Adrian Stoness" <tdk.knight at gmail.com>:
>>
>> Phillips in Europe was not part of Phillips in the us was it's own company
>> from what I've been able to find out the model I have is from around 1968
>> post a link to a pic when I'm not on my phone
>
> Philips (with a single L) is a Dutch company. They made a whole range of
> computers at various times: home computers (P2000 and MSX), IBM PC
> compatibles, an IBM PC/MSX hybrid (the :YES, notoriously incompatible with
> either architecture), minicomputers  (I have several members of the P800
> series) and mainframes (P1000)

Philips was founded around the end of the 19th century as a maker of light bulbs, got into vacuum tubes in the 1920s or so.  They bought Dutch computer pioneer Electrologica in 1965 but didn't do much with it.  They also built various other computers.  I worked on an obscure one, the PR8000, a 24 bit minicomputer from Philips France (complete with French assembler mnemonics).

	paul