Logic Analyser Advice

Glen Slick glen.slick at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 14:41:57 CDT 2016

On Sat, Sep 10, 2016 at 12:23 PM, Ian S. King <isking at uw.edu> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 10, 2016 at 1:27 AM, Rob Jarratt <robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I will buy a set and see how it goes. I also believe there are some probes
>> that are designed to clip over a whole IC, any recommendations for those? I
>> did try using one once but it was designed to be used in conjunction with
>> grabber clips and it was so fiddly that I gave up, so I am wondering if
>> there is something better.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Rob
>

> DIP clips?  They can be found, but since DIPs are mostly considered
> obsolete they are pretty pricey these days.  Watch on ePay - I picked up a
> raft of them from some company closing its service department (cheaper just
> to throw things away).  The grey plugs that fit into the end of the pods
> have a connector  that fits over an individual pin - they work great on
> wire-wrap pins! - and those can be attached to the DIP clip before you
> clamp the clip on the IC.  There have been a couple of times I've had every
> single pod in play, each connected to one or even two DIP clips.  -- Ian

3M / A P Products have a couple of versions of DIP test clips - the
headless version and the nailhead version.

For logic analyzer use you generally would want to use the headless
version. The logic analyzer flying lead ends should slip directly on
top of the DIP test clip pins.

The nailhead version as the name implies look somewhat like the head
of a nail on top of the DIP test clip pins. That is to stop a clip
from slipping off the top of the pins, but it is a real pain to have
to try to fit clips on all of the pins in the space available and make
sure none of them pop off.