Components available - the rest of the story

Tom Gardner t.gardner at computer.org
Thu Sep 8 12:08:34 CDT 2016

The rest of the story.

As Al pointed out, much to our surprise, the museum has rejected an offer
from Art's estate for the donation of a Fast Fourier Transform computing
system which included both the Unicomp Computer and a hardware FFT
accelerator.  This is a very strange decision since the system is one of the
earliest if not the first implementation of a FFT in anti-submarine and
anti-aircraft warfare.  FFT mathematics dates to 1965 but processor until
much later had the power to do it real time in software at the resolution
necessary, so Art invented the hardware accelerator and multiple units were
sold to the Navy.  The estate is appealing the museum's decision.

The estate would like to keep the FFT system together and so if the museum
continues with a cranial rectal inversion it will look to other alternatives
including those of u who have already

I will respond by email not later than tomorrow to the several list members
who expressed interest in the components and/or the computer.  I'm busy
today helping set up the Atari retrospective for the IEEE Silicon Valley
History Committee.

Regards,

Tom