Unsticking a Seagate ST-419 head

Al Kossow aek at bitsavers.org
Thu Oct 20 11:23:24 CDT 2016

The two disks this morning went much better. I tried using a heat gun on the outside of the hda and VERY
gently freed the heads and got the spindle to turn. Then I pulled the top board and coaxed the spindle motor
back up to speed. The root disk read without errors, usr has a consistent 28.

The same experiment didn't work on the usr disk from the first system though :-(

At least now I have a good root image and probably usuable usr