Unsticking a Seagate ST-419 head

jim stephens jwsmail at jwsss.com
Thu Oct 20 04:05:31 CDT 2016

I actually years ago unstuck drives by removing them, hooking them to
cables long enough to allow me to have access to them external to the
system with power, and just holding them in the air and giving them a
sharp twist around the axis of the drive.  That was enough to unstick
most.  I also had ready a drive on the systems to drain or recover data
immediately prepped on the system in advance (Windows 95 and NT days).

Never forced or heated them, may work as well.  I thought the force if
applied quickly would cause not only "stiction" to be be overcome from
heads temporarily stuck to the drive, but it also gives a bit of a boost
in case the poles on the motor were not working well enough to give a
kick to start the spin, which is a different problem.

The latter seemed to be the problem of at least a couple of drives, as
they would start if you gave them a prod, but otherwise were either
silent or humming (from the pole forces oscillating rather than causing
successive action to spin the platters).

thanks
Jim