Getting out of the hobby

drlegendre . drlegendre at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 22:59:19 CDT 2016

Couple more words on this..

"I do feel the hobby has changed. I haven't, which is why I don't post
much here any more. When I started it was all people trying to restore
and run the genuine old hardware. Now it seems there are a lot of
emulators running on hardware I don't understand"

There are still plenty of enthusiastic, younger folks who are most
definitely into running the "genuine old hardware" - it's just that this
list hasn't traditionally offered much of a draw for these users. As noted,
the list was formed by and for users of the classic-era 'big iron' gear,
many of whom have simply succumbed to attrition in one form or another.

To summarize, the future of a list like this is in the 8-bit (even 16-bit)
"home computer" kids.. like myself. They are fond of CBM, Atari, Apple,
BBC, TI, Timex-Sinclair, Osborne, Kaypro, Wang and so on. If the hobby is
to remain alive, these folks need to be welcomed in..