Gaming on old systems (was Re: Twiggys [was: Re: ka... ching!])

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 13:03:53 CDT 2016

On 11 October 2016 at 19:41, Alan Perry <aperry at snowmoose.com> wrote:

> As far as Doom, not long after I became a Sun employee in Mountain View in '94-95, we played Doom Arena, a networked, multiplayer version of Doom.

I think you might be conflating 2 games here.

Doom was *always* multiplayer and network aware. Doom 1.0 for DOS used
IPX networking and allowed 4 players to deathmatch.

However, no more than 4.

Quake III Arena was a separate release, the 3rd generation of the
Quake series, which itself was the OpenGL-accelerated sequel to Doom,
with actual vertical 3D in its levels. (Doom only faked this.) Quake
allowed up to 16 players in deathmatch mode, and ran over TCP/IP. I do
not know about the limitations in Quake II, which was AFAICR
Windows-only on the PC, let alone Quake III.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven
Skype/MSN: lproven at hotmail.com • LinkedIn/AIM/Yahoo: liamproven