Picked up Commodore Amiga 2000

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Tue Oct 4 21:55:02 CDT 2016

On Tue, 4 Oct 2016, devin davison wrote:
> I figured this would be the place to ask... It looks as if PC compatibility
> boards can be added to the machine,  boards with a 286, 386, or 486 and
> some memory on a board, capable of running  MS DOS. IF i were to install
> such a board, what kind of graphics capability would the dos side of things
> have?

Depends on the board, and its bundled software.

Not to be more flippant than usual, PC-DOS/MS-DOS has no graphics
capability  (80x25 text).  But, it can launch programs that do access
graphics hardware.
(such as games, graphics oriented software, or Windoze)
In order to get basic compatability, they probably implement the CGA
capabilities that are in the PC BIOS, which goes to 640x200 B&W.
If they want to, they could simulate the presence of Hercules
(720x348), EGA (640x350) or VGA (640x480) hardware.

If they really want, they could simulate a pseudo VGA up to whatever the
hardware resolution is.