ka... ching!

william degnan billdegnan at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 15:37:20 CDT 2016

On Sun, Oct 2, 2016 at 4:29 PM, TeoZ <teoz at neo.rr.com> wrote:

> There are also the type of people who get into a hobby and buy all kinds
> of gear then get bored and ditch it a few years later.
>
> -----Original Message----- From: Jon Elson
> Sent: Sunday, October 02, 2016 3:32 PM
> To: General at classiccmp.org ; Discussion at classiccmp.org:On-Topic and
> Off-Topic Posts
> Subject: Re: ka... ching!
>

> On 10/02/2016 12:50 PM, Al Kossow wrote:
>

>> On 10/2/16 10:15 AM, Jay West wrote:
>>
>>> I have a new theory. No new machines are ever
>>> found, we all just keep trading ownership of them amongst ourselves,
>>> sometimes with the same machine coming back years later!
>>>
>>> Thats been a joke at hamfests for decades :-)
>>

>> It is NOT a joke, it really happens.  The old gear outlasts
> the owners, and people use it for a while, upgrade, move to
> a retirement home or whatever, and it goes to someone else.
> Then, the cycle repeats.
>
> Jon

I have noticed a lot of "new" items coming into availability. People have
been horders of computers since companies first started letting employees
to take them home after depreciation.  Plenty is still out there.

I still want to got to Cuba to find a Univac there.  I have this feeling
that some thought-lost vintage machines are to be found there.