Thinking about acquiring PDP stuff

Brad H vintagecomputer at bettercomputing.net
Wed Nov 30 10:48:07 CST 2016

-----Original Message-----
From: cctalk [mailto:cctalk-bounces at classiccmp.org] On Behalf Of Pontus
Pihlgren
Sent: Wednesday, November 30, 2016 12:10 AM
To: General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
Subject: Re: Thinking about acquiring PDP stuff

On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 12:03:22AM -0800, Brad H wrote:

> I'm curious.. what do people do with these things?  I've seen videos
> of some in large racks being used to play music, etc.  The rack ones
> seem like a a pretty substantial investment in space for something
> that doesnt (or does it?) have much practical use today.

Are you sure you are on the right mailing list?

Anyway, here is someone controling his christmas lights:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1MDYYvw0cY

> Cheers,
>Pontus.

Haha.  I don't know if I'd call using all that iron to run Christmas lights
'practical', though it is very cool.  I'm just trying to get out of the home
computer collector mindset.  We buy machines that can do all sorts of
things, especially games with graphics.  And when we're done we can simply
move them aside or tuck them in a closet.  A PDP with racks and all that,
not exactly portable. :)  So I wondered what PDP guys did to keep interested
and how much they actually used the machine over the course of, say, a year.