Datamation, May 1972

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Thu Nov 17 16:20:08 CST 2016

> On Nov 17, 2016, at 5:04 PM, Brent Hilpert <hilpert at cs.ubc.ca> wrote:
>
> On 2016-Nov-17, at 1:08 PM, Josh Dersch wrote:
>
>> I have an LP, "Electronic Music from the University of Illinois" (1967 or
>> so):
>> https://www.discogs.com/Various-Electronic-Music-From-The-University-Of-Illinois/release/349054.
>> If I recall, they used the U of I's ILLIAC IV in the recording.
>
> Somethings' amiss there, 1967 is way too early for ILLIAC IV.
>
> ILLIAC IV wasn't actually located at U of I.
> According to refs it was installed at NASA Ames (Calif) in 1971-2.

Maybe an earlier ILLIAC?  I vaguely remember hearing that ILLIAC I had been used to make music.

ILLIAC IV was designed at U of I and was originally intended to be located there; they even built a high-security building for it (CAC).  But in the end DoD didn't like all those unruly students so they installed at at Ames instead.  The building ended up being used for an ARPAnet node instead.

	paul