Epson MX-80 Technical Manual?

Tony Duell ard.p850ug1 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 13:05:16 CST 2016

On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 6:52 PM, Chuck Guzis <cclist at sydex.com> wrote:

> Yup--my first daisywheel was the original Hitype--the one with the
> external (3 fan noisy) power supply.  It had the OEM interface and I

I think I have one somewhere. Don't have the PSU for it, it came with
a word processor system, and the PSU in the CPU box (large deskside
unit) powers the printer as well.

[...]

> Sigh.  Daisywheels seem to be in the category of "unwanted junk".  I

It's a pity that far too many classic computer enthsiasts who run the
original hardware consider the CPU to be the only part worth saving.
Not printers, not even disk units in some cases. And yet the CPU is
not the entire system at all...

> still have a Qume and an Olivetti (sold with the M24) unit and have been
> unable to give them away.  It seems that if a printer won't do graphics,
> nobody wants it.  I did manage to give away a Diablo 630.

But a daisywheel can do graphics. One of the programs for the Apple ][
-- I think it was called ApplePlot, could do a high res screen dump on
a Qume 5 daisywheel printer. It used the '.' character only, positioning
it very carefully. There were even daisywheels made with a metal pin for
the '.', everything else being plastic, so they didn't wear out too quickly
when used for such things.

Strangest thing I have seen on a Diablo 630 chassis. A Sanders 700.
That's a 7 pin dot matrix printer with the printhead in place of the
daisywheel of the 630. Same carriage/paper feed mechanism.
It takes plug-in ROM cartridges for the fonts, and does 8 passes
of the head for some of them.

-tony