General TC11 DECtape diagnostic/formatter questions

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Thu Nov 10 06:42:33 CST 2016

    > From: Christian Corti

    > Seems the original must have been the XXDP TC11 DECtape formatter
    > program by Robert J. Collins. I have no clue where I found the RT11
    > version of this

So that made me wonder if the V6 Unix version of tcf.s really was related to
DTF.MAC. I checked out the two of them, and it seems they are likely
un-related; very different structure, etc.

BTW, I noticed a couple of places in DTF.MAC where error checking code was
commented out, e.g.:

  ;EHLT4:	XX		;HALT WITH BLK#IN LIGHTS, CONTINUE
  ;	MOV	#257.,R0	;TO FIND DATA WORD POSITION
  ;	ADD	TOG1,R0		;DETERMINE WHICH WORD IS WRONG
  ;EHLT5:	XX		;HALT WITH #OF WORD IN LIGHTS. 0=REV. CHKSUM
  ;	MOV	@TCDT,R0	;CONTINUE TO FETCH BAD WORD
  ;EHLT6:	XX		;HALT WITH BAD DATA IN LIGHTS. CONTINUE

Maybe it would be useful to un-comment them?

    > On Nov 9, 2016, at 5:57 PM, Josh Dersch wrote:

    > I believe S/B is the expected data

Yes, probably stands for 'should be'.

	Noel