General TC11 DECtape diagnostic/formatter questions

jim stephens jwsmail at jwsss.com
Wed Nov 9 15:50:47 CST 2016

On 11/9/2016 1:43 PM, Josh Dersch wrote:
> t's clear from running the diagnostics (ZTCC, not
> ZTCD, sorry for the important typo) that a Read in a reverse direction
> fails (but writes seem to be OK in either direction -- the tests that do
> forward reads, regardless of the write direction of the data universally
> pass).
When you do writes, you have to physically have a read station
positioned after the write station on the head.  Are there two such
stations on the drive for reading?  Otherwise the writes may just be
blind writes, which would of course work as there isn't much to check
other than to backspace and do a re-read.

Just curious, as though I've got access to TU-56's have not looked for
that detail.

thanks
jim