Sage II

emanuel stiebler emu at e-bbes.com
Sat Nov 5 08:09:04 CDT 2016

On 2016-11-04 13:56, tony duell wrote:

>> Crashed after a while, and only shows 128K (512k is populated),
>>

> It appears that there's a DIP shunt block on the CPU board where each shunt
> corespond to a row of DRAMs. You should check all 4 positions are shorted.

According to the technical manual:

www.bitsavers.org/pdf/sage/sageandstride/Technical_Manual-1983.pdf

they should all be open.

> I think that the power-on test checks the first 128K RAM, then sees if the top
> location (? first location) of the next 128K works if so, it tests that RAM, and
> repeats 128K at a time to work out how much RAM it has. So you may have
> defective RAMs in the second 128K.

Also, the manual write it would tell me, if the test fails with the
location of the bad Address. But it say 128K, and just boots ...

> I wonder if the crashing is due to RAM problems in the first 128K.

I'm not sure my floppy disks are OK.
I'm trying to get a IBM 5170 up to work at the same time, so
will try to write them again ...