Epson MX-80 Technical Manual?

Scott Kevill scott at kevill.com
Sat Nov 5 02:24:03 CDT 2016

On 05/11/2016, at 4:29 AM, Eric Smith <spacewar at gmail.com> wrote:

> Does anyone have a scan of the MX-80 Dot Matrix Printer Technical Manual?
>
> It's apparently intended to be available here:
>
> http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/det/39747/Epson-MX-80-Dot-Matrix-Printer-Technical-Manual/
> but I was unable to actually download it.

If you do get the site working, or contact the site owners, this one might also be worth getting (£7.5 rather than £0, but also fails to check out):
http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/det/32320/Epson-FX-RX-MX-Printers-Product-Support-Service-and-Repair/

Covers FX-85/185, FX-80/100, RX-80/100, MX-80/100.
(Principles of Operation, Wiring data, Repair Analysis Procedures, Parts Lists, Repairs and Adjustments, Final Actions, General)

This book on pages 11-12 has a brief overview of the differences between the MX-80 versions (suggesting mostly firmware differences, and with the Type III including the previously optional Graftrax 80 support):
http://www.atarimania.com/documents/The_Epson_Connection_Atari_Edition.pdf

This VCFED thread also discusses the ROMs (and the 5152 printer):
http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?24184-IBM-5152-Epson-MX-80

The Graftrax 80 installation manual also has a component layout diagram on page 4:
https://archive.org/details/Graftrax-80_1981_Epson_America

Here is the Epson MX-80 III FT - Sams ComputerFacts:
https://archive.org/details/Sams_Computerfacts_Epson_MX-80_III_FT_Printer_1984_Howard_Sams

Here is the IBM 5152-002 - Sams ComputerFacts:
https://archive.org/details/Sams_IBM_5152_Printer

If you do manage to get hold of either of those Epson PDFs on computinghistory.org.uk, I'd be very keen as well.

Scott.