NEC ProSpeed 386

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Tue May 31 18:57:04 CDT 2016

On Tue, 31 May 2016, Chuck Guzis wrote:
> It could be a matter of what you learned to touch-type on.  For me, it
> was a manual Underwood office machine.

Royal

> It took some time to get used to
> an electric typewriter--too twitchy.  One thing that's probably been
> lost to time is the need for a uniform striking force when using a
> manual typewriter.

I had a problem with touch-typing.  My little finger wasn't strong enough
to casually lift the entire mechanism.  So, for a capital 'F', instead of
a little finger and the key, it was my whole right hand on the right shift
while I pressed that key.

My father got an IBM electric (LONG before Selectric) at Goodwill.
Enormous black heavy thing, that smelled like IBM electro-mechanical gear.
It took a lot of work to get it and keep it working.

When I was in college, those disposable Smith Corona portable elctrics
came out.

Later, the selectrics were just amazing.

Grumpy Ol' Fred     		cisin at xenosoft.com