Mystery IBM processor

Dave Wade dave.g4ugm at gmail.com
Sat May 28 09:02:34 CDT 2016

The pricing is miss-leading. That price is taken from here:-

https://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/mainframe/mainframe_PP3084.html

For Universities there was a standard discount of 40% so at most they paid was $5.22M

In addition, it was common practice for IBM to loan Universities a new machine for evaluation.
Typically, you could have it for a year so long as you paid the maintenance and software costs.
At the end of a year you then had the option to buy, or return it.
If you choose to buy it, it was by then of course, a year old and no longer a leading edge new machine...
.. so you would actually pay the second hand price, less your 40% discount...

As far as I know only one University in the UK sent one back, and that was Queens University, Belfast.

Dave
G4UGM