Windows use in medical spaces (Re: vintage computers in active use)

Swift Griggs swiftgriggs at gmail.com
Fri May 27 15:23:18 CDT 2016

On Fri, 27 May 2016, Cameron Kaiser wrote:
> (I was already notorious for refusing to switch to Microsoft Outlook; I
> read my mail on-spool, as God intended, over a terminal window.)

Damn straight! Check my mail headers and you'll find Alpine :-)

> Fast-forward to fall 2003, when I was now a starving medical intern and
> had my ob/gyn rotation at the county hospital.

Congrats on getting through med school and making it happen, at least.

> The fetal monitoring system on every bed in the delivery suite was NT
> 3.51. I could tell at a glance it had not been updated since the day it
> was installed. I pretended not to notice.

It makes me wonder how many patients have had to wait on care or didn't
get proper care because of an IT screwup related to Windows. I have to say
just _seeing_ Windows on machines in the ER made me livid. I found it
breathtaking they were that caviler about getting people checked in,
keeping records straight, etc... I guess I shouldn't have visited the
sausage factory, so to speak...

Then again, folks in hospitals probably should be more concerned with
patients than with their IT tools. Ugh. Still. Windows? I'd have felt
better about paper forms. At least they don't blue screen.

-Swift