ASM, Clancy & Harvey, and Agile (Re: vintage computers in active use)

jwsmobile jws at jwsss.com
Fri May 27 11:49:01 CDT 2016

On 5/27/2016 9:08 AM, Swift Griggs wrote:
>> While I don't formally do agile, what I do do is in line with many of
>> >the principles behind agile - things like "release early, release
>> >often", short iterations, and constant customer involvement.
> I can appreciate some of the elements, also. It's just irritating when
> they start turning it into meeting (oh wait... scrumm) hell and folks are
> more focused on pushing the methodology than completing the project.
I had the task of doing mouse firmware for a project that ws a huge 40
person C++ object oriented mass of crap with all the stuff that goes
with that.

Note Customer here means the entity that consumes or engages your end
product.  In this case there were other bits involved that were also
large blank page projects, since this was an aircraft product. The
hardware, manufacturing, test program, and even business and marketing
were all formal, with little of the bullshit you'd think of as random
operations in especially marketing and sales.

But in my tiny corner they were all blockheads about what I had to do to
be "agile" and I just basically said go f yourselves.  I was basically
expanding a manufacturer supplied sample code set, and I always work
iteratively, but a lot of the things I had to do had to respond to
things that were not planned.

The model of formally planning out the stuff that Agile has sometimes
doesn't work.  Especially in places where embedded programming is
involved.  But if the managers would look at what you have to do,
frequently it is a modified version of that.

In this case the manager had never touched low level programming which
was part hardware and software ever, and didn't get how much had to be
"tried" and modified.  Luckily there were people who got the problem and
eventually it was a good project.

Thanks
jim