vintage computers in active use and restoring them

William Donzelli wdonzelli at gmail.com
Fri May 27 11:19:31 CDT 2016

> As far as I can tell, if I suddenly need a specific SLT module, the
> odds of finding that specific module at any given time on eBay is
> essentially zero.

Stuff with standard SLT shows up on Ebay quite often. Not every day,
but one could build up a decent pile of SLT cards in time to harvest
from.

> Some SLT modules are far more common than others. I don't know how
> many different SLT modules are used in the 360/30, nor what percentage
> of the SLT modules in that machine are common ones.

For the standard (slower) families of SLT, their are only a few types
of modules - I might guess only 15 or 20 types in something like model
30. They would likely all be 361xxx parts.

Anyway, if one confines an S/360 restoration project to sources
limited to Ebay and Digikey, one will have a bad time. Look around.
IBM made a huge amount of this stuff, and a reasonable amount still
survives.

--
Will