vintage computers in active use

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Thu May 26 21:03:27 CDT 2016

On 05/26/2016 06:20 PM, Toby Thain wrote:

> While the existence of such projects is ... questionable to begin
> with, one might think the continual under-delivery (across all
> military boondoggles) might give taxpayers pause.

I see a lot of "we're going to do it because we can, not because it's
really needed" in all of this stuff.

It's not just the military, either.  My wife and I are getting estimates
to replace the heat pump in the house.  The old one has put in 24 good
years, but is developing issues and uses R22 refrigerant which will
shortly be next to unobtainium.  Time to replace.

What bowled me over was getting a system quote that involved a
"connected" thermostat--a
full-color-touchscreen-Wifi-interface-web-connected unit.  When I said I
didn't *want* a "connected" thermostat, but merely a simple programmable
one, the reply came back that I couldn't have one--the whizbang one was
standard for the quoted system.

Next, I suppose my toothbrush will give me the weather forecast and
latest stock quotes...

After about a decade, I still haven't read the rather lengthy manual
that came with my stereo receiver--I dropped out when the topic came to
"setup menus"  (plural).

--Chuck