vintage computers in active use

Toby Thain toby at telegraphics.com.au
Thu May 26 20:20:41 CDT 2016

On 2016-05-26 2:39 PM, Geoffrey Oltmans wrote:
> On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 11:48 AM, Fred Cisin <cisin at xenosoft.com> wrote:
>

>> And, THAT is why it MUST be replaced immediately by "modern" hardware
>> and software, to put an end to that.  Windows10 can change that.
>>

> Yes, and while we're at it, put it in "the cloud" so that the we can have
> an app for "red button." ;) What could possibly go wrong?

We're pretty much already there.

Audits of the F35 software found:
  * single points of failure (grounding global fleet)
  * security issues
  * that software is the single biggest risk to the project

It's not clear how much Microsoft is already in that loop.

http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/defense/2016-04-21/gao-questions-deployability-redundancy-f-35-alis-system
etc

While the existence of such projects is ... questionable to begin with,
one might think the continual under-delivery (across all military
boondoggles) might give taxpayers pause.

--Toby