vintage computers in active use

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Thu May 26 16:53:12 CDT 2016

    > From: Ethan O'Toole

    > Might not be a bad idea to make a wiki page somewhere and ... source
    > generic replacements. This way vendor/part# of modern replacements can
    > be had for old belt drive floppys and computer tape drives?
    > I think the audio cassette deck enthusiasts do something like this

Excellent idea. The data can be put on the Computer History wiki; I've been
putting a lot of PDP-11 info up there. Let me know if you have data to post,
and can't get access.

    > From: Paul Koning

    > It clearly is not all that accurate. In a discussion of "old" systems,
    > it mentions a system with "reported age 52 years" but it "runs on
    > windows server 2008 and is programmed in Java". ... A number of other
    > examples are similar. For example, a "56 year old" IRS system that
    > actually runs on an IBM z series machine from 2010.

Perhaps this is just sloppy writing, and they really 'the application is 52
years old, but it has been translated into Java'? And the latter one could
easily be System/360 code from 56 years ago, running on a z series.

	Noel