vintage computers in active use

Paul Berger phb.hfx at gmail.com
Thu May 26 14:19:40 CDT 2016

On 2016-05-26 4:01 PM, Diane Bruce wrote:
> On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 03:31:42PM -0300, Paul Berger wrote:
>> On 2016-05-26 2:32 PM, Diane Bruce wrote:
>>> http://www.iaea.org/inis/collection/NCLCollectionStore/_Public/01/000/1000086.pdf
>>>

>> Yeah the Bruce plant used to run on PDP-8s, a friend of mine worked
>> there on a work term in University, he told me they had a garage full of
>> PDP-8s for spares.  I would imagine when Bruce was refurbished they
>> where replaced with something more modern.  The Pickering plant was run
>> by IBM 1800 as where some of the coal fired plants.
> Wow! Thanks! I always wondered why Ontario Hydro wanted Craig's PDP-8's ;)
>
>> Paul.
>>
> Diane
The plant mentioned in the document above Nuclear Demonstration Plant
(NDP) was the the prototype Candu reactor built at Rolphton Ont. just up
the river a bit from the Chalk River Nuclear Labs.  It has been long
decommissioned, the other plant mentioned Bruce, was the second
commercial Candu site after Douglas Point, and that would have been the
first phase Bruce "A" the plant was later enlarged with a second set of
4 reactors.

Paul.