classics I threw away or sold ... foolishly

Swift Griggs swiftgriggs at gmail.com
Thu May 19 09:40:55 CDT 2016

On Wed, 18 May 2016, N0body H0me wrote:
> 1. Apple Quadra 840av. The sweetest Mac I've ever owned.
>    Sorely missed.  LIkely stolen.

Yes, this was the king daddy M68k classic-mac, IMHO.

> 3. NCR Tower 1632.  Ran an early SYSV, I had the install tapes
>    too.

I wanted one of those. I saw them at several customer sites in the 90's
and I thought they were a bit bean-counterish, but still cool.

> 5. SwTPc 6800's - Both machines lost in the above flood

Whoa. Bizarre. That thing has a huge power supply for a machine that size.
There is also massive capacitor in there (I think that's what that is).
I'm pro/for/cheerleader for any kind of computer that looks like stereo
equipment. I've always wanted a machine with Vue meters for CPU and RAM
capacity :-)

http://www.swtpc.com/mholley/MP_P/M6809/6809_side.jpg

> 6. Smoke Signal Broadcasting 9512 - This was a 6809 running OS/9.
>    Sold it because "I have enough SS-50 boxes already".

Another 70's "made outta wood" box. Shame I wasn't old enough to
appreciate all those.

> 9. Commodore 128D - complete with keyboard, built like a tank.
>    By the time they drained the basement, it was likely a rusted
>    pile of junk.

Those were awesome. I was so jealous of friends/cousins who had them. My
cousin had some C64 game that had enhancements for the 128. It was little
wizards running around teleporting through pentagrams and shooting
fireballs at little devil dogs. I can't remember the name, but it rocked
on the 128. I remember playing that and being in awe of the 128 (hey, I
was probably 10 or so).

-Swift