classics I threw away or sold ... foolishly

Swift Griggs swiftgriggs at gmail.com
Thu May 19 09:12:50 CDT 2016

On Wed, 18 May 2016, Sean Caron wrote:
> Ah, man. I lost a Q660AV myself and I do miss it. That said, I'm lucky
> to still have my PM8500 (held together with epoxy, LOL) to salve the
> wound a little ...

I would have probably kept it if it was a 840AV. I liked that machine a
bit more, but now I'd probably get something capable of running A/UX. Of
course, since classic macs have a big cult following and they aren't on
Ebay anymore, I'll probably just keep my memories and call it good.

> as well as a few other boxes you list. I do confess I tossed a TRS-80
> Model 100 a few years back and I feel no guilt :O

hehehe. They were cool looking (and they took AA's!) but they had a clunky
interface. There are a lot of sites out there with model 100 info
nowadays, though.

> AFAIK an '060 accelerator was never sold for the Mac platform. Was that
> a real thing?

It's been a while now, I can't remember. If you say so, I believe it. It
musta been a 040 or something. I think it was from Presto.

> I know a PPC 601 upgrade was available for the IIci as well as many nice
> '040 accelerators ... the Radius Rocket ... etc.

It was definitely still a M68k based card, I remember that. I also
remember it didn't have any kind of extra RAM or SCSI controller (which I
kinda wanted but could not afford).

> DEC microVAX III BA23 (w/ SCSI)
> DEC microVAX I BA23

I think thre is a DEC microVAX II still sitting powered down in a corner
here at my office.

> IBM PS/2 Mod 95

Ugh. That thing is yuuuuge. There is only so much PS/2 I can take. I
prefer the small/cute workstations.

> IBM PS/2 L40 SX

Whoa. A PS/2 laptop. I never even knew there was such a beast. Plus it's
got an interesting shape and keyboard. Huh.

> PM 6100 AV DOS Compatible (for real!)

Bizzare. Did it have some kind of PC card inside?

> Intergraph Series 2400 (x2)

I always wanted to play with an Intergraph box. I was too busy obsessing
over SGI's boxes, though.

> a BA123 cabinet once (what was I thinking?)

What in the world is this thing? You call it a cabinet but it looks just
like the MicroVAX II I just mentioned. Is it some kind of fancy case
upgrade for a VAX ?

-Swift