classics I threw away or sold ... foolishly

Swift Griggs swiftgriggs at gmail.com
Wed May 18 15:50:17 CDT 2016

I've stack-ranked all the classic items that I, to my everlasting shame,
let go of at some point and now I feel like it was a mistake:

1. Amiga 2500. I ditched it thinking I'd pick up a 3000 then never did.
Ugh. It was free. They were using at some radio station where I helped
them fix their PCs but then decided I wanted their Amiga (stashed in a
closet) to subsidize my fee.

2. SGI Indigo R4400 with pristine KB + mouse, Maxxed RAM, and Elan. Ugh.
/me bangs head against wall

3. Mac IIci with 060' accelerator. I put the accelerator in and paid $$$
  for it. Darn it. That was a cool system.

4. Sun Voyager. These go for a fortune now on Ebay. I *gave* mine away.
Not this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sun_Voyager
This one: http://tinyurl.com/lhzjfks

5. NeXTStation Color Turbo. I got tired of the proprietary-everything and
the space it was taking to keep it working and pristine. Still. I wish I
hadn't sold it.

6. Mac Quadra 660AV. This was a pizzabox M68k classic mac with a video
frame capture (a crappy one but still...) capability. I notice you can't
really even buy classic macs on ebay anymore. There used to be scads of
them. Damn... does that mean I'm old now?

7. SGI Origin 200 dual R12k 270Mhz. It's the top model Origin 200 and it
had good skins etc... If I had it today it'd be running in my garage with
the rest of the zoo. I had to ditch some gear to move way back when, and
this box was a casualty.

8. Sharp Wizard OZ-8000 organizer. This thing rocked. I'd probably be
tempted to *use* it. I got a lot of mileage out of it "back in the day". It
ran on a Z80 and took AAA batteries (yes!). Plus I had (and maybe I still
do) a DB9 serial interface for it. You could use it as a vt220 terminal,
IIRC.

9. Atari Lynx. I had all the cool games. Like a fool I sold mine for some
quick money in college to help fund a silly trip with some chick who is
long gone long ago. Ugh. I'd rather have the Lynx back...

10. TRS-80 model 100. I didn't really like it that much, but nowadays it'd
look cool in my collection and I have more nostalgic love for the
trasheighty. Plus it takes AA batteries (I love that!).

-Swift