strangest systems I've sent email from

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Wed May 18 14:40:49 CDT 2016

On Wed, 18 May 2016, Paul Koning wrote:
> What a bizarre statement, given that there was plenty of precedent for
> doing so very successfully.
> It might be a valid statement if made much more nuanced, say by talking
> about the slowness of the processors, or the inefficiency of the
> particular compilers used.  But clearly there had been successful (large
> scale) operating systems written in high level languages well before the
> Mac.

[actually Lisa was the issue]
I think that there was a general perception that microprocessors were not
fast enough to function properly without hand-optimized assembly language.
In those days, even games did not need "time-delay loops".

But, "Moore's Law" held that it wouldn't be much longer.
Just one doubling of the speed of the Lisa's hardware would have been
enough to silence the speed complaints.