beige rant (was Re: IBM 5150 with red case on ebay)

Brent Hilpert hilpert at cs.ubc.ca
Mon May 16 12:12:40 CDT 2016

On 2016-May-16, at 9:57 AM, Swift Griggs wrote:

> On Mon, 16 May 2016, Brent Hilpert wrote:
>> http://www.studiofynn.com/design/computer-server-panda Found with some
>> judicious googling. I guess that's cheating, so no prize for me.
>
> I cheated and found it with Google Image Search but I kept quiet to let
> others run it down.
>
>> Seems to have been purely a design concept, not a product.
>
> They don't really talk about the guts, at all. Also by 1995 SGI had
> already made a lot of really cool machines, but hey others were free to
> join in!
>
> Honestly, I didn't say much because at first I thought they were coffee
> machines, espresso makers, or some other non-computer. Then when someone
> piped up with "Isn't that an early XYZ Frobniz-2000 with the acceleration
> module?" he'd spring it on them saying "GOTCHA! It's a coffee maker!" :-P

Seems it did get a little further than design concept.
The "Archistrat" computer from "The Panda Project" of Boca Raton, Fl.
Was getting a lot of press buzz around 1995.

	http://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia/term/37955/archistrat-computer
	http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1996-02-11/business/9602090578_1_panda-semiconductor-computer
	http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1994-11-25/business/9411220267_1_panda-project-crane-electronics-ibm
	http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19941112&slug=1941368