beige rant (was Re: IBM 5150 with red case on ebay)

Mike Ross tmfdmike at gmail.com
Fri May 13 21:04:28 CDT 2016

On Sat, May 14, 2016 at 12:29 PM, Tor Arntsen <kspt.tor at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 14 May 2016 at 00:20, William Donzelli <wdonzelli at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Do not blame the computer companies, blame the customers. Beige and
>> gray were the colors they wanted.
>
> When companies buy, someone will have to approve (that is, provide the
> money). That's often the company's own beancounters.. Engineer:
> "We'll need this particular computer. This here model will do."
> Beancounter (looking in sales brochure): "Purple? We don't do that
> kind of thing here. This other model will do, surely" (points to beige
> version).

Companies other than SGI did 'interesting' colors. Here's something
really obscure; bonus points to anyone who can identify it just from
the photo. No cheating! And treble points for anyone who HAS one. A
Prince's ransom if you have one for sale :-)   -

http://www.d1.dion.ne.jp/~r_high/memorial/panda/boxes.gif

Mike

http://www.corestore.org
'No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his brother.
Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame.
For one person, in the dark, where no one will ever know or see.'