"Retro Repair" key electronics skills?

Bill Sudbrink wh.sudbrink at verizon.net
Tue May 10 14:33:54 CDT 2016

tony duell wrote:
> Another of Don Vonada's laws is 'There is no such
> thing as ground'.

My father is a civil engineer.  When I was a little
kid, he was in the US Air Force.  We would frequently
go to the runway snack bar, get ice cream and watch
the B-52s do "touch-and-go" landing practice.  The
plane's wings would "flap".  It raised the hair on
the back of my neck.  My dad explained that, if they
didn't flex, the wings would break off.  After a
while, I understood, intellectually.  It still "gave
me the willies".  Later I had a similar experience
when I was with him in a tall building and realized
that it was "waving in the wind".  Same thing, if it
didn't flex, it would fall.

> The other is that, as I said before, any ground
> connection has impedance (it's the inductance that
> is troublesome normally) so that points (say IC pins)
> that are shown as grounded may actually have a
> voltage difference between them.

If I think about it too much, this gives me the
willies, the same way.

Bill S.