VT101 screen adjustment

Tapley, Mark mtapley at swri.edu
Mon May 9 19:20:57 CDT 2016

On May 9, 2016, at 4:21 PM, Mouse <mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG> wrote:

> I would tend do something like inserting a 100K or
> 1M resistor in the path to ground. ...
>
> If I'm off base, I'm sure someone will correct me!

	I strongly second Mouse’s recommendation (and to you too, Adrian). Suddenly placing a large charge anyplace on your ground plane (the pipe is as good a choice as I can think of, but ….) could invert diodes, back-bias transistors, etc. etc. and it’s just so easy to avoid by having a large high-voltage resistor in series with your clip. No loud snap, no pyrotechnics, your hand won’t jump in involuntary reaction to the loud snap - it’s just a much more controlled and gentle effect on the system.
	I have not done it myself (either way) but have seen it done, and it works well. Resistors are really cheap insurance in this context.

					- Mark
					210-522-6025 office         210-379-4635    cell