AW: When did Memory- and IO Protection Emerge (Esp. in Minis)?

Erik Baigar erik at baigar.de
Thu May 5 03:46:07 CDT 2016

On Thu, 5 May 2016, Dave Wade wrote:

> I thought we were talking Mini Computers. The Ferranti/Manchester Atlas had
> virtual memory of a sort which provided protection, and indeed IBM bought
> the Virtual Memory patents from Manchester University. I gather the PDP/11
> received Memory Mapping boards early in its life, didn't these offer some
> protection?

Yes, originally I had Minis in mind, and yes - this term is not well
defined. Anyhow I learned a lot from all the answers as many differnet
machines have been covered in contrast to the normally DEC biased
traffic here. What still is a quite interesting question for me is,
that purely "mapped memory" or "virtual memory" does not match the
answerr to my question as it still lacks the IO aspect and I'd call
it only memory protection if there is a method to prevent ordinary
programs from modifying the memory map.

So from my point of view the HP2100 matches the criteria of my initial
question, the Rolm APM does but probabaly some others mentioned for their
virtual memory do not. E.g. the DG mapped memory (Nova3 or Eclipse)
lacks the "user prohibited to modify map" feature I think.

And for sure: Atlas was a very interesting machine with great capa-
bilities for its days!

    Erik.