FidoNet ....show [was: History [was Re: strangest systems I've sent email...

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Tue May 3 18:30:59 CDT 2016

On Sun, May 01, 2016 at 03:32:21AM -0400, COURYHOUSE at aol.com wrote:
> fido news when he became editor and they are lamenting the  Internet
> taking away  from fido net....
>
> https://gopherproxy.meulie.net/gopher.meulie.net/0/fidonews/2002/fido1902.nw
>

> In a message dated 4/30/2016 7:43:59 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
> geneb at deltasoft.com writes:
>
> On Sun,  1 May 2016, Tomasz Rola wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 10:07:34AM  -0700, geneb wrote:
> >> On Wed, 27 Apr 2016, Sean Conner  wrote:
> >>
> > [...]
> >>>
> >> What IS known as FidoNet (1:138/142  here. :) ) and it's still a
> >> political shit-show, mostly due to  people from Zone 2. *sigh*
> >
> > Pardon my ignorant question but is  there a place on the net where I
> > could read some more about it? Or  maybe it is short enough to explain
> > here?
> >
> Books could be  written about it unfortunately,  One of the more annoying
> aspects is  Bjorn Felten, the current editor of FidoNews - he's refused
> repeated  requests to pass on his editor duties for various reasons and
> he's refused  - for at least the last 10 years.  Find a telnetable BBS
> that's a  member of FidoNet and start reading the FidoNews echo for a taste
> of the  insanity.  The Fido Sysop (FNSYSOP) is also a pretty deranged
> place.

Thanks, both of you. Indeed the editorial of 1902 news was creepy. As
of telneting, I almost registered to such BBS but at the very last
moment backed off. The reason was I can see how this kind of place can
be a real time sucker. I have already spent whole Sunday browsing this
gopher site with lynx (I turned gateway address into proper gopher://
one). It was a hell of a joy, because I do not think I knew of meulie
before. I was only poking at gopher.floodgap.com semi-regularly during
last umpteen months.

Now I even started to think, very shyly, how nice would it have been
to posess even one real IP4 number and have one such thing on my
router. It can run Linux (or so OpenWRT guys claim), so it can run
gopherd too. Albeit I would rather have non-Linux on it. My dreams
always have this complicated multistory property. Of course my cabletv
can sell me "business" service. Ugh. This is tempting but I am
strong. :-)

Ah, ok. I still have nothing to show off. So there is no reason to go
gopher. That was easy. Maybe next time.

--
Regards,
Tomasz Rola