Z8-02 demo PCB (was Re: Running a Z8-02 MPD on a breadboard)

Eric Smith spacewar at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 00:47:30 CDT 2016

On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 1:41 AM, Eric Smith <spacewar at gmail.com> wrote:
> I designed a simple QUIP adapter for use with solderless breadboards,
> and wired up a Z8-02 MPD along with a 28C16 EEPROM for the program
> memory, a 62256 static RAM, address latch, and decoder. I programmed a
> copy of the Z8671 Basic/Debug interpreter into the EEPROM. To my
> amazement, it worked the first time.
>
> Photos:
>     https://www.flickr.com/photos/22368471@N04/sets/72157652653732622

I had a PCB made of basically the same circuit, with a TLC7705 voltage
supervisor/reset circuit added, and a stuff option for an actual
RS-232 port. I've added photos to the album linked above. Unlike the
solderless breadboard version, it did not work the first time, and I
haven't yet figured out what's wrong with it. The reset circuit seems
to work correctly.

I should have added a bus connector for I/O expansion. I was in a
hurry and it had to be under 100mm square to get the boards made
inexpensively.

Rather than soldering in the exceedingly rare 3M QUIP socket, I
soldered down four 16-position single in line machined-pin sockets,
and plugged the QUIP socket into those.