DEC H7104-D debugging...

Josh Dersch derschjo at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 22:21:43 CDT 2016

On 3/24/16 3:25 AM, Mattis Lind wrote:
>> So I had a few minutes tonight to investigate a few things:
>>
>> - The startup PSU is running, and the relay in the 5V supply is firing and
>> stays energized until the supply is powered off.
>> - The +5V, and +/-12V bias voltages are being properly generated. This
>> makes sense, since the 2.5V supply is working fine.  From my understanding
>> of the supply, this means the 300VDC is also present (also validated by the
>> relay firing.)
>> - The 20Khz clock generated on the bias board is present (measured from
>> pin 8 of J1 on on the bias board), at the proper rate and duty cycle.
>> - 5V AC and DC LO signals (measured at J1) are .3 and .9V, respectively.
>>
> Then a lot things seems to be working.
It does seem that way.  Thanks for the suggestions, I have a few (likely
head-scratchingly obvious) questions below.  This is not my area of
expertise by a long shot so some of these things are less than obvious
to me.  Thanks for being patient :).

> Is the main chopper transistor driven?
How do I identify which transistor is the main chopper?  I've looked
through the schematic and the tech reference and I've come up empty.

> First check that you have a signal on the primary side of the pulse
> transformer  T2 on the mother board? Driven through B22 / B24 from the
> control board. Q6 collector.
These are the pins on J4 (on the motherboard) labeled "-TRIGGER" and
"+TRIGGER" ?  Is this safe to probe with a standard 10x oscilloscope
probe (assuming I bring some leads out to where it's safe...)?

> If not then check backwards towards the NE556, Q6 and Q15. E9 pin 9 and pin
> 5. E8 pin 3. These outputs are OR:ed together via diodes and drive Q15 base.

Makes sense.

> If yes then you need to investigate the secondary side of the pulse
> transformer T2 on the mother board. (Now it is getting dangerous if you are
> not careful). Is there base drive on the power transistors?
What precautions do you recommend taking here?

Thanks again.  I may have some time this weekend to play with this, but
I have family coming to visit, so probably not :).  I'll let you know
how I get on if I do, though...

- Josh