Random conferences [was Re: The Second International Conference on Electronics and Software Science (ICESS2016)]

Peter Coghlan cctalk at beyondthepale.ie
Thu Mar 24 16:06:25 CDT 2016

> Hello there,
> Really appreciate the reply.
> Again, my apology for looking like a 'scam'. I'm not, please.

Not a very convincing denial.

> Happy Easter to you and the rest of this elite group.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Joan Sali
> Conference Manager

Originally, I thought these ads were what a colleague of mine used to refer to
as "academic spam".  I haven't seen anything like it for many years.  Almost
brings back memories of the days before spam went mainstream when mailing lists
devoted to academic topics were cluttered up with dozens of relatively harmless
but highly irritating "invitations" to ghastly overhyped conferences.

The more I look at these new examples, the more dubious they look.  A
collection of popular buzzwords and bleeding edge terminology, no specifics,
no names of contributors, not even unrecognisable ones, an "invitation"
addressed to nobody in particular, a few hundred dollars registration fee.

It appears the main attractions are (unspecified) "researchers from the
international community", "presentations from (unspecified) keynote speakers"
and "state-of-the-art lectures", something I would want to be paid for if I
was required to attend, not the other way around.

Regards,
Peter Coghlan.