TI Silent 743/745 question.

Chris Elmquist chrise at pobox.com
Wed Mar 23 09:37:03 CDT 2016

On Wednesday (03/23/2016 at 09:25AM -0500), Chris Elmquist wrote:
> On Wednesday (03/23/2016 at 02:03PM +0000), Cohen, Corey A wrote:
> > I'm trying to troubleshoot a TI silent 743/745.   When you press the "rubout" key should it print anything like an underscore?   Besides sending the rubout character, what does the actual print head do?  Backup? Print an underscore?
>
> I get nothing printed when pressing RUBOUT.
>
> With the unit in off-line mode and in half- or full-duplex, characters
> typed are printed.  RUBOUT prints nothing.
>
> With the unit in on-line mode and half-duplex, chraracters typed are
> printed and RUBOUT prints nothing.  In full-duplex, nothing prints unless
> the far end echos it back.

I should have elaborated a little on what you might be seeing.
If something does print when you hit RUBOUT and you are on-line and in
half- or full-duplex, it is possible that the far end, whatever host
you are connected to, is echoing something back in response to the RUBOUT.

The terminal sends ASCII 0x7F when you press RUBOUT.  This is a non-printing
character locally but the remote system can send back whatever it likes

Chris
--
Chris Elmquist